Mudslide on 166 causes delays (and thoughts of highway’s name)

12:15 a.m. today (Monday, March 14): Plans for delays if you’re heading to or from Port Orchard on Highway 166 (that highway that goes along Beach Drive). Washington State Department of Transportation notified us at 11:55 a.m. of the slide in the eastbound lane at milepost 1.2. WSDOT Maintence is on the scene. One-way, alternating traffic has been established in the westbound lane.

Despite the rainy weather we’ve had this winter, the hillside above the highway, which received a major fix from WSDOT, has held pretty well … until now.

The news prompted talk in the newsroom of whether there’s a name for the highway, other than Highway 166 or “that road that goes along the water heading into Port Orchard.” What do you call that road (other than a few choice names when mudslides happen)?

5 thoughts on “Mudslide on 166 causes delays (and thoughts of highway’s name)

  1. Kiss Me Curve Road … my Grandma and my Mom both used to call the big curve that. I don’t recall a time I ever passed along that road with my Grandma in the car, where she didn’t grab hold of something and caution the driver to slow down or we’d be going around it on two wheels, ha! Then she or my Mom would proceed to joke about it being a “Kiss Me Curve”!

  2. My map calls it “SW Bay Street.” I’ve never called it that – just “that road into Port Orchard, along the bay.”

  3. We just call it Bay Street when we choose a route into town.

    “Are we going Bay Street or Old Clifton or Sedgwick?”

  4. mystree – Ha, ha, “Kiss me Curve.” That’s a lot more romantic, or at least colorful than “that road by the water on the way to Port Orchard.”

    Chris Henry, reporter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Before you post, please complete the prompt below.

Enter the word yellow here: