Police blotter: “I drank way too much and am guilty as charged”


This week, a drunken driver offered a forthright assessment of his physical state and its legal ramifications.

Also this week, a Bainbridge man left $1,000 in cash on a seat in his unlocked car. Guess what happened.

Blotter’s below.

Feb. 16
Loaded: A Bainbridge woman called police to report that the gun she had accidentally left in a vehicle that was sold to another person was returned in a “locked and loaded” condition. The gun owner said she always leaves the gun unloaded. She believes the weapon may have been tampered with in other ways.

Drunken driving: A Bainbridge male was arrested for drunken driving near the Moran Road-North Madison Avenue intersection just before 12:15 a.m. An officer stopped the suspect after watching him drive in an erratic manner. She also noticed his license plate tabs had expired. When asked for proof of insurance, the man said he didn’t have it due to an incident last week in which he drove away from a gas station with the gas pump still attached. The suspect initially said he’d had just one beer, but later admitted to drinking at least four at a nearby casino. He failed a series of sobriety tests. When asked if he thought he was intoxicated, the suspect responded “I drank way too much and am guilty as charged for DUI.” He was taken to the county jail in Port Orchard.

Feb. 15
Theft: A Bainbridge male reported that several items were taken from his unlocked vehicle while it was parked at the Safeway store on High School Road just before 3 p.m. Stolen items included $1,000 in cash, two checkbooks, several gift cards and a cell phone headset. Most or all of the items had been in a banker-style bag with a Huskies logo on it.

Feb. 14
Break-in: A tip jar containing $10 was stolen from a business on the second floor of Winslow Mall on Winslow Way sometime during the night. Entry was gained by prying open a door lock.

Adrift: A large abandoned “Chris Craft” boat was towed from Restoration Point to the city dock at Waterfront Park. It appears the boat was recently auctioned, was in disrepair and was taking on water. The state’s derelict vessel coordinator was notified.