Police blotter: Parked car: 1, Drunken teenaged car thief: 0

An allegedly inebriated car thief met one car this week that isn’t going to take it anymore.

Sept. 7
Drunk teen: A 17-year-old Bainbridge male was arrested for underage drinking shortly after 2:30 a.m. on Winslow Way. Police initially received a report of an interrupted vehicle burglary near Gateway Towing. A young male wearing a white jacket and gloves was spotted by police in the vicinity. He was running and disappeared from sight. Police spotted him later running without his jacket and gloves. According to police, the youth was having “difficulty running in a straight line or maintaining his balance.” Police in pursuit could smell the odor of alcohol wafting from the youth. The youth collided with a parked car and fell to the ground, suffering minor scrapes. An officer handcuffed the the youth before he could get up and asked him if he had been drinking. “I don’t know, what do you think?” he responded. When asked why he was running from a police vehicle, the youth said that he runs from all cars when it is nighttime. He refused to take a breath test, saying “when we go to court, it’s your word against mine.” He also mentioned his desire to keep “the power” and not give it to police. An officer checked vehicles in the area but found no evidence of burglary.

Sept. 4
Assault: A Bainbridge man beat and injured another Bainbridge man during an altercation over money shortly after 9 a.m. on High School Road. When police arrived at the scene, they found the victim alone and suffering from a bleeding lip and scratches on a hand and his chest. He was struck approximately four times in the head and scratched with the suspect’s fingernails. The suspect had fled to an unknown Bothell location, according to the victim. The two had been friends and came to blows over $600 the suspect said he is owed by the suspect. Police are investigating.

Sept. 3
Theft: A 6-foot-long speed bump was removed from a private drive near Fletcher Bay. The bump is valued at $200.

Aug. 29
De-masted: The police marine unit assisted a sailboat that had lost its mast in severe weather and was in danger of capsizing about a mile off Point Monroe.