Twanoh State Park‘s collection of sturdy Civilian Conservation Corps-built structures has earned it designation on the state register of historic places.
The park’s 23 buildings and other structures are an “outstanding assemblage of buildings” designed and built in an architectural style common in state and national parks during the 1930s, according to Stephen Emerson, program director of Eastern Washington University’s Architectural and Historical Services.
Emerson’s nomination of Twanoh to the Washington Heritage Register was accepted in late June. The park will be considered for inclusion on the national register in the early fall.
Twanoh was established as a state park in 1922, likely making it the oldest state park in an area that includes Kitsap, Mason and Jefferson counties, according to state parks spokeswoman Virginia Painter.
Most of its structures were built by young men employed by the CCC, a Depression-era government program aimed at creating jobs, stimulating the economy and constructing public-use infrastructure.
The buildings were designed in the “National Park Service Rustic” style, which “stressed naturalistic settings and buildings that featured natural materials, especially masonry and wood, usually using locally quarried stone and logs from nearby forests,” Emerson wrote.