Spring Training Links and Other StuffMarch 19th, 2010 by cstark
* Aaron Cunningham’s with his fourth organization in six years, and the outfielder might start the season at Triple-A Portland, but the South Kitsap grad is OK with that. He didn’t like how the season ended last year when he was with Oakland, and San Diego’s given him a new outlook. Check out this story that published Wednesday in the San Diego Tribune.
* Jason Hammel’s yet to walk a batter as his dazzling spring continues for the right hander from Port Orchard. The Colorado pitcher struck out six in five innings against the Mariners on Thursday.
* Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik said he’s yet to see a trophy awarded for the Hot Stove League, referring to the all of the buzz the M’s created with their offseason moves. Are they ready to make the next step? That’s the theme of this USA Today preview story.
* Looks like the Mariners are committed to playing Jose Lopez at third base. Boy, are they gonna miss Adrian Beltre’s glove work. As Boston pitcher John Lackey said of the new Red Sox third baseman: “Dude can play.” Adrian Beltre’s as good a defensive player who’s ever played the position. Yeah, I’m including Brooks Robinson, Clete Boyer, Mike Schmidt and anybody else you can think of. His defense alone was worth the price of a season ticket.
* Speaking of dudes who can’t play … Yuni Betancourt seems to have already worn out his welcome in Kansas City. One blogger wrote this:
Despite GM Dayton Moore’s assertions to the contrary,
Betancourt is a vortex through which the entire team will get
sucked if he’s allowed onto the field too much—and “too much” could
just as easily read “at all.” With Betancourt’s already
abysmal glove and brutal batsmanship, nearly any middle infielder
on the roster would be an upgrade.