The Kitsap Sun hosts unpaid, reader-produced blogs to encourage online conversation in our community. More voices from members of our community means more sources of information, more perspectives and more opportunities for healthy discussion and debate.
The Kitsap Sun does not edit or preview blog posts. Their content is the sole creation and responsibility of the readers who produce them.
If you see any content they you believe is inappropriate, please contact Editor David Nelson at email@example.com.
Bloggers hosted by Kitsapsun.com have agree to be as honest, thorough and accurate as they can in the time they’re given both the content they present and who they represent themselves to be.
What we ask of Kitsapsun.com reader bloggers:
- You will adhere to journalistic standards of ethics to be as accurate as possible and as fair as possible, meaning you will use reasonable care to ensure that facts and statements are true and do not defame, harass or violate anyone’s privacy, or impinge on the intellectual property or any other rights of any other person or entity. The reporting and editingnews staff of the Kitsap Sun abides by the Society of Professional Journalists’ code Code of Ethics, which is a good guideline of the kind of ethical behavior you as a blogger should consider when you’re presenting information (in all forms) to people.
- The words you write or media you put on your blog and present as your own or your collaborators’ are actually yours. Any work that you adapt or take (but only in small, fair use amounts) is clearly attributed and, if the source is online, you will add a hyperlink to it.
- You don’t harm others with untrue, libelous information.
- You will not violate privacy or property rights of any person or entity. This includes not “outing” your commenters.
- You will not break any laws or encourage other people to break laws with your blog.
- You will not use this blog for your financial, material or political gain. It will not be used as a way to sell or market products or organizations, and bloggers will not take payment for your content on this blog from a business, political, governmental or other organization.
- You are not going to hurt our business, servers or employees with the content or coding you put in your blog. Criticism is OK. Uploading a malicious virus, overloading our servers or getting us sued is not.
You can read more about our terms of service below:
TERMS OF SERVICE
INTEGRITY OF CONTENT
Bloggers hosted on Kitsapsun.com and pugetsoundblogs.com, agree that they will create online content in accordance with the law and generally accepted journalistic practices. This includes, but is not limited to, using reasonable care to ensure that facts and statements are true and do not defame or violate privacy, intellectual property or any other rights of any other person or entity. Contributors further warrant that this agreement and the company’s contemplated use of the materials, does not violate any other contract.
The content shall not solicit readers to join become members of any commercial service. The content also should not advertise goods or service or solicit funds from readers, nor shall bloggers take payment from anyone but the Kitsap Sun in exchange for their content on Kitsapsun.com or Pugetsoundblogs.com.
Bloggers agree not to spam, transmit malware, viruses or other content harmful to readers or their property.
Bloggers agree that the content represented as theirs is, in fact, theirs.
They shall not submit any User Content protected by copyright , trademark, patent, trade secret, moral right, or other intellectual property or proprietary right without the express permission of the owner of the respective right. Bloggers are solely liable for any damage resulting from their failure to obtain such permission or from any other harm resulting from User Content that they submit. Material used from other sources must meet the Fair Use doctrine and be attributed. Bloggers also agree not to impersonate or otherwise obfuscate their identity or the sources of their information.
Bloggers agree that their content will neither violate local, state or federal laws nor will it encourage conduct that violates any local, state or federal law, either civil or criminal. This includes, but is not limited to, content that is abusive, libelous , defamatory, that invades privacy or publicity rights, is vulgar, is obscene, is profane, is pornographic, or is otherwise legally objectionable.
The Kitsap Sun may choose to use content from a reader blog in its print publications. Bloggers will be compensated $20 per blog post so long as the blogger has provided the Kitsap Sun with a W-9 and provide an invoice itemized to include the date of publication and agreed compensation.
INTEGRITY OF CONDUCT RELATED TO THE BLOG
Bloggers agree to respect the personal privacy of those they create content about, including their sources, potential sources or users of their blog, including commenters. Bloggers will not contact those who have asked not to be contacted. Bloggers also will not publish people’s contact information including e-mail addresses, phone numbers or addresses without their permission. Bloggers will not stalk or harass anyone.
Bloggers agree to identify themselves clearly as a Kitsap Sun reader blogger when gathering information related to or for publication in their Kitsapsun.com or pugetsoundblogs.com blog. Bloggers may not use their affiliation with the Kitsap Sun for their material, financial or personal political gain. This includes getting free or discounted merchandise, free or discounted tickets, access or special access to events. Bloggers may not request press passes as affiliated members of the Kitsap Sun.
Bloggers agree to be honest, fair and disclose conflicts of interest with regards to the content they produce.
ACCESS AND USE
The Kitsap Sun provides bloggers the ability to add text, photo, video, audio files or other media content on their blogs for informational and non-commercial purposes. They agree that in doing so they will not do any of the following:
- Bloggers may not (or give permission to or by automated means) modify the appearance performance or features of the site without express permission. Bloggers also will not attempt to or interfere with the the normal workings of the site, including but not limited to disabling features, overloading our systems or adding malicious applications, script or other programming. Bloggers agree that they will not try to circumvent or disable any security features of the Website Kitsapsun.com or Pugetsoundblogs.com or othwerwise diminish the functionality of the sites.
- Bloggers also may not (or allow others or automated mechanisms to) copy, decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble or extract the source code of any portion of any the website or affiliated websites.
Bloggers are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of their passwords and other personal, non-public information related to their blogging account. If you become aware of unauthorized access, you must contact the Kitsap Sun site staff immediately.
The software bloggers use may be periodically updated. Bloggers agree to receive such updates.
DAMAGES TO THIRD PARTIES
While carrying out the Services described in Section 1 of this Agreement, Blogger expressly agrees that he or she is solely responsible for any damages that may result to any third party’s person or property.
Contributor shall indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Company from and against any and all damages, actions, causes, demands, accidents or claims whatsoever (including attorney fees) arising out of or in connection with the services or Material provided by Contributor or Contributor’s agents under this Agreement.
If there is a dispute between persons accessing your blog or between persons accessing the blog and any third party, you understand and agree that we are under no obligation to become involved. If there is such a dispute, you hereby release the Kitsap Sun, E.W. Scripps and its officers, directors, employees, parents, partners, successors, agents, affiliates, subsidiaries, and their related companies from litigation, claims, demands, and damages of every kind or nature arising out of, relating to, or in any way connected with such dispute.
This agreement contains the entire understanding of the parties. Any and all representations or agreements by any agent or representative of either party to the contrary shall be of no effect. No waiver or modification of any of the terms of this agreement shall be valid unless in writing and signed by both parties. Failure by either party to enforce any rights under this agreement shall not be construed as a waiver of such rights, and a waiver by either party of a default in one or more instances shall not be construed as a continuing waiver or as a waiver in any other instance. If any term or condition of this agreement is for any reason held invalid, such invalidity shall not affect any other term or condition and this agreement shall be interpreted as if such term or condition had never been contained in this agreement. The section headings and numberings of this agreement are inserted only for convenience, and shall not be construed as part of the agreement. This agreement may be executed in counterparts, any one of which need not contain the signatures of more than one party, but all of which, taken together, shall constitute one and the same agreement. This agreement may be executed by fax and the parties agree that such facsimile execution shall have the same force and effect as original signatures.
Company is not required to use or publish the material, in whole or in part, under this agreement, and the Company shall have fully discharged its obligations to Contributor by making the payments to Contributor required by Paragraph 3 of this agreement.
We ask that you give at least two weeks’ notice before ending your blogging agreement with the Kitsap Sun. Upon termination or prolonged inactivity, your blog will be removed from our reader blog roll. The Kitsap Sun reserves the right to retain the previously produced content in its archive. The Kisap Sun is under no obligation to release the content for publication elsewhere except by express written agreement of the Kitsap Sun.