Port Orchard bear still on the loose

Brynn writes:

Thanks to Doug Miller and his quick shutter finger, we have proof that the elusive Port Orchard bear was trying to escape Port Orchard for better digs on Bainbridge Island.

Miller sent the email this afternoon and unless there’s another bear walking around out there with a dart in its hindquarters, I’m guessing this is the same bear that was hiding out in the greenbelt off Mile Hill Drive earlier this week. I have to say, it looks a lot bigger here than it did when it was running at me on Monday…what do they put in those darts, steroids?!

Miller spotted the bear this morning swimming across Rich Passage, headed for Bainbridge off Point Glover. Here’s what he said in an email:

We saw him swimming out in the middle of the channel. A boat stopped to check him out and he got spooked and decided to swim back to our side I guess.

Pretty cool.

Last I heard from wildlife Sgt. Ted Jackson was that the bear still hasn’t been captured, but that it is being spotted all over. The hype over the bear has hopefully gone down now that its not running across Mile Hill Drive and bounding over the fences of the nearby Orchard Heights Elementary and Discovery Alternative High School.

I’m guessing Jackson and the other wildlife officials are also hoping the bear quietly fades into the woods, so they don’t have to try and relocate it.

Without further ado, here’s the photos. (Look close in this first one, you can see the dart sticking out his right hind leg).

7 thoughts on “Port Orchard bear still on the loose

  1. Does this mean that we have a bear roaming around that’s probably agitated by a dart in his behind? I sure do wish we could get that dart out of that poor bear.

    1. Kim,
      It sounds like the bear is still roaming around, but that the dart has since fallen out of his fur. I talked with wildlife Sgt. Ted Jackson yesterday and he said based on the photo it looked like the dart had moved from where it previously hit the bear and was instead tangled in his fur. Jackson said the tranquilizers only stay in the bear’s system for about 45 minutes, which is why they were trying to find him Monday.

      By now he has no drugs in his system. But he’s still out there — sounds like he was hit by a car on Friday, but not injured. The car was also not damaged and the driver wasn’t hurt, Jackson said. They still have a trap set and are hoping they can capture the bear and relocate it. People living in the area should bring in all food and garbage to discourage the bear from sticking around.

      — Brynn

  2. Hi Kim,

    Nope the bear is still out there, and hasn’t wandered into the trap yet. I talked with the wildlife sergeant this evening and that’s the latest.

    – Brynn


  3. My mom mother told me that a bear was seen in somebody’s backyard here in Port Orchard. The news program she was watching didn’t say where in Port Orchard. Do you have any news?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Before you post, please complete the prompt below.

Please enter the word MILK here: