We have a couple light posts over at Our Sound
Home that were in need of a paint overhaul. Just this
past weekend, while we had a day with some sunshine, I took
advantage of the warmer weather and got to work!
Here are some before photos of what I was working with:
There was a lot of peeling paint, the glass was dirty and the
screws holding the top of the lamp post on were really gnarly (they
were painted over once before, and the threading on the screws was
stripped). So, I scraped off all the peeling paint, lightly sanded
it, cleaned it with a wet rag, and washed the glass inserts.
Then, I used rustoleum black paint, which gives the fixture more
of a black iron look:
Let the top and bottom parts of the light fixture dry
Lastly, put the glass inserts back in and screwed the top and
bottom of the fixture together. So much better!
I just love that black iron look compared to the white (chippy)
paint, so much better! The project took about 2 hours to complete,
including drying time.
The only thing I would do differently next time is wait for a
day where there is no wind, but I just couldn’t help myself and
felt like I needed to complete it that very day. With so much
wind, that meant I was closer to the fixture than normal, which
gave me a few runny spots. Luckily I was able to catch most
of them, and you can only see them up close. Overall it was a
really nice, easy weekend project!
Now, all that’s missing is some patio furniture. Coming