Does the IRS owe you money?

By Rachel Pritchett

The Internal Revenue Service says it may have money waiting for you.

That caught my eye, but it’s only for taxpayers whose income was below the limit that required them to file a tax return.

If a taxpayer didn’t file in past years for that reason, the IRS suggests they go ahead and file now to claim any refund that might be waiting. Even though they didn’t file a tax return because they had too little income, they may have had taxes withheld from their wages. Others may be in line for a refund even if they didn’t have any tax withheld under the Earned Income Tax Credit program, according to the IRS.

So here’s what you do:

File a return for those years, if it’s no later than three years from the due dates. Current and past tax forms are on the Forms and Publications page of or by calling (800) 829-3676. Information on the Earned Income Tax Credit is also available on There’s no penalty for filing a late return qualifying for a refund, the IRS promises.

Good luck.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Before you post, please complete the prompt below.

Is water a solid or a liquid at room temperature?