While students getting in trouble dominated the news this past
week, there was good news to be had at Bremerton High School.
The Bremerton Schools Foundation Board announced it would award
$9,350 in scholarships to this year’s seniors and that will award
$6,000 in grants to educators in the 2007-08 school year.
According to an e-mail I received from a member, the foundation
is made up of BHS alumni and community members “that came together
with the goal of raising money for scholarships for students of
Bremerton, and (to) help the Bremerton School District achieve
their goal of improving student learning.”
To get the awards, students and parents need pick up
applications from the BHS counselors’ office after February 12.
The foundation provided the following list of scholarships:
Academic Scholarships –- for students pursuing post secondary
education in an institute of higher learning:
· Kegel Academic Scholarship – $1,000
· Ryan/BSFndn Scholarship – $1,350 – to be awarded to a student
that is good in mathematics and would like to continue in this
· Shinn Academic Scholarship A – $1,000 – to student with
· Shinn Academic Scholarship B – $1,000 – to student with
· Alumni Scholarship A – $1,000
· BSFndn Academic Scholarship – $1,000.
Vocational Scholarships – for students pursuing training in the
· Kegel Vocational Scholarship – $1,000
· Shinn Vocational Scholarship – $1,000 – to student with
· BSFndn Vocational Scholarships – $1,000.