Police blotter: Naked man strolls the south end


South end residents reported seeing a young man walking without clothes in and around Fort Ward State Park this week. He didn’t speak to anyone or look at anyone as he ambled on. And then he vanished.

Also in the blotter: an egging causes a whopping $5,000 in damage to a Manitou Beach house.

July 6
Burglary: A Euclid Avenue resident reported that an unknown male had been in her house when she arrived home shortly after 5 p.m. The resident said she put away some groceries and laid down on a living room couch when she heard a male voice and a cell phone cover shut in an upstairs room. Her dog ran upstairs and then out of the house. She went to a neighbor’s house to call police. No signs of forced entry were found. No items were reported stolen. When asked if she’d had a suspicious incidents recently, the resident said a Hispanic-looking man had recently visited her home and asked if she had any work for him to do.

Theft: Two bicycles were stolen from the outside of a High School Road apartment sometime during the night. One bike, valued at $400, was described as a blue 11-speed. The other, valued at $150, was a girl’s purple road bike.

July 4
Suspicious: A father reported that his 12-year-old daughter had been offered candy and a ride in a van by an unknown male on Madison Avenue. The daughter described the van as “clean” and white in color. The man was described as Hispanic-looking, in his late 20s or early 30s, and had a goatee.

Crash: A young Tacoma driver was cited for inattentive driving and leaving the scene of an accident after he struck a mailbox, landscape boulders and knocked down a tree on Arrow Point Loop with his Honda Accord at approximately 2:30 a.m. A nearby resident reported the accident after he found that the tree blocked his driveway. Police found the severely damaged car centered on top of the boulders and birch tree, with its wheels suspended off the ground. The driver returned to the scene and told police he had been driving too fast on the curved roadway. Police believe he was traveling at about 45 miles per hour. When asked why he hadn’t reported the accident, the driver said he thought it would be easier to do it later. Damages to the 30-foot birch were estimated at $450. Damage to the mailbox was $50.

Punched: A Bainbridge man reported that another man punched him on the mouth at a High School Road apartment complex. The suspect had driven the victim and some friends to the complex. The suspect punched the victim after he and others criticized his driving. The suspect left the scene before police arrived. The victim refused medical aid.

Drunk driving: A 33-year-old Bainbridge woman was arrested for drunk driving on Manitou Beach Boulevard just before 2 a.m. Police pulled the suspect over after noticing that she was speeding and talking on her cell phone. An officer reported that she was shaking and her speech was slurred after she was pulled over. She admitted to having consumed two drinks.

July 1
Theft: A bicycle valued at $300 was stolen from outside a Pleasant Beach Drive house sometime during the night. A $10 bill was also taken from a vehicle parked nearby.

June 30
Egged: A Manitou Beach Drive house was struck by approximately six eggs during the night, causing $5,000 damage. The resident said the damage costs were high because the house’s finish is expensive to fix. She reported hearing laughter at the time the eggs struck her house but did not see any suspects.

June 29
Naked: Residents living near Fort Ward State Park reported seeing an unclothed white male walking through their neighborhood and the park at around 6 p.m. Police received the initial report from a Parkview Drive resident who saw the man walked past his home just before 6 p.m. The naked man was described as white, of medium build and in his mid-20s. The resident yelled at the man but he did not look back or respond. Another witness also reported that the man did not acknowledge other people or stop as he walked toward the park. A third witness saw the man stroll through through a Fort Ward park parking lot, where many children were playing nearby. Police were unable to locate the man.